Skip to main content

Ironman Training Year 1 Recap

2016 was the first year of training for Ironman in 2018.  For the most part there was a lot of progress and improvement, with a few sidesteps.

In March I broke 2:30 for the half marathon for the first time.  It was truly anticlimactic.  I hadn't come closer than 2:32 in several years of trying to break 2:30.  Then it happened.  With a 2:28.  In Dallas.  With no one there.  I've done it three times this year.  So I guess I am a 2:30 half marathoner now.  I am also able to consistently pace 2:45.

May was the most awful Olympic distance tri ever at Bonkers.  Paired with the irony of "earning" an invitation to AG nationals based on that race.  Small races are weird that way.

Early June is Monumental Mile.  I always think I'm going to break 10:00 and never quite get there.  Until I ran 9:41 this year.  Still not sure how to feel about that.

In June I was anxious about the Grand Rapids tri/Athena nationals.  I was still owning the awful experience at Bonkers, but David and my parents were there for this one.  And I had a great race.  31 minutes off PR.

But I was still terrified of the bike course for Muskoka.  No amount of reassurance from David or Matt was making it seem better.  But we got to Huntsville and drove the bike course.  And it was going to be ok.  Then we were out on a training ride, which had some big hills...the hills were fine, but nearly getting hit by a concrete truck was distinctly uncool.  I forgot my watch at the hotel, but had a great race, taking 37 minutes off my IM 70.3 Muncie time.

Tri Indy wasn't anything spectacular...not fast, not slow.  But consistent.  Apparently I can keep an Olympic tri under 3:30 now.

Marathon training season was a mixture of crazy hot and raining.  Crazy hot for speed work on Tuesdays and raining for long runs on Saturdays.  Almost every week.  The leadup to the Detroit Marathon was awful (BMW wreck, Erika's death), and the race was warm (mid-60s) and it rained from 17-23.  And there was a side stitch at 19.  And what was supposed to be my first sub-5:30 marathon was over 5:40 again.

In the fall David ran three 5Ks and managed to beat my 5K PR twice...so I was supposed to reclaim the household 5K record at the Donut 5K, but an ice storm had different plans, so that will have to wait.

Overall swimming is going well, I have a new bike that will be exciting to ride in the spring when I can ride outside (still on the Giant on the indoor trainer), and running seems to be going ok.  There was cadence-gate but I think we're all moving on.  I have been lifting weights since May and am doing reasonably well in the gym.  I am going to TRX and yoga when I can too, as additional strength and flexibility work.

I found out that IM Louisville has a 16 hour time limit rather than the standard 17 hours.  That puts more time pressure on, but there's still time and work to be done.  Pushing on into year 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s