Skip to main content

72cent

I don't remember when exactly ME first floated the idea of a 3/4 Ironman distance training race, but I do know it was on tap by the end of last year's review/2017 planning.  We picked a date between Grand Rapids 70.3 and Steelhead 70.3, which happened to be last Saturday - which is consistent with me doing an event intended to try to kill me right before my birthday (RAIN, Muncie 70.3, and Muskoka 70.3 are recent examples).

I got my personal support team of Tom and Trena on board early.  I would need them to help me plan and get through the day and they were enthusiastically on board.  David was slated to ride the first lap of the ride and run point for the day...which eventually got reshuffled a tiny bit with the realization that NITE Ride in Indy was that night and he loves riding it.  Plan A was for Ft. Ben to be the venue, but in reality it is hillier than necessary out there so we moved it to Carmel (Monon Center).

I had visited Lindsay to work through extending my 70.3 nutrition plan and gotten all of the things I needed for the day.

Jill met me at the Monon Center to swim.  We had to get day passes, but that was ok and it made all of the staging and courses easier (and safer) than being out in Lawrence.  Swam the 3,175 yard fine and got out.  I had forgotten my bike clothes bag in the car so I ran out of the locker room to meet David with that bag.  I changed and went out to the car.  Transition took longer than planned (although I wasn't rushing) by about double...but there are some different logistics to a self-supported event than a race.


David and I started out on the ~20 mile bike route.  I was turning right out of the Monon Center on to 111th Street and needed to stop for a car.  I got unclipped from my left pedal, but then I didn't shift my weight correctly and I fell over to the right - HARD.  I got up and put the chain back on my bike and started riding.  My knee was gushing blood (and looked a little badass) and my elbow was hurt too, which I felt every time I grabbed my water bottle.  Northbound Towne Road had sticky asphalt chunks from construction on an adjacent street and it was getting stuck to the tires and got up in my brakes and was making noise.  We stopped and got the bits out of the brake pads and calipers.  Then we were fine.  After the first lap David thought I should clean up my knee a bit so I did and put a bandage on it.  Then we took off on the second lap.  Had a similar problem on Towne, though not as bad this time.  When we finished the second lap Kara was there.  She was going to ride, but she was having her own logistical nightmare of a day and needed to bail on me.  I got a hug and set out on the third lap.

Halfway through the third lap I passed Matt going the opposite direction.  He turned and caught me.  By then the wind had picked up more than it was supposed to for the day and he said "I bet by now you have a favorite direction and it's not north" - yep.  He rode the rest of the loop and told me my new nickname was 75 cent.  It goes along with my "damn it feels good to be a gangsta" theme for racing so all cool.  I was getting a bit lightheaded and stopped for a minute and had some applesauce with protein then got back on track. For the fourth loop we picked up Trena and headed out, but were changing the route a bit to avoid northbound Towne.  Matt pealed off and Trena and I continued.  I had to stop twice, but generally ok.  On the way back south David joined us again for the last few miles.  Every time I had to stop for traffic my left quad and/or hamstring would lock up when I started back up.  I would yelp.  Trena thought it was my battle cry and that it was cute...she didn't know until later I was in pain.

We got to the car at just over 80 miles and Tom was there to run and it didn't make sense to try to add 4 more miles to the bike.  I was also kinda done with the cramping.  I got my stuff and went to change.  David took care of getting my bike secured to the car and such.  Again, transition took longer than planned.


We set off to run.  Tom, Trena, and I ran the first two around 12:30 pace, which was great.  They were carrying a water bottle for me.  After the first few miles though I decided that I needed to walk until I could pee.  I drank what Tom called a "keg" of water over the next few miles.  We were staying between 111th/the parking lot and 96th to stay in the shade.  Trena left me with Tom.  Finally I was able to pee at 96th Street and we went to 3 min run/2 min walk, which was really pretty solid.  We knew we weren't going to get to all 20 miles before 7:30, but figured we could do at least 18.  Tom was keeping me amused.  We stopped for water and ice every few miles.  We picked up Shannon and Karen for the last 5 miles and I shoved some ice in my bra - that felt much better than I thought it would.  I had been dumping water on my head pretty much from the beginning.  We went all the way down to 86th Street and then headed back for the closing stretch.  With less than a mile left we were joined by David, Kay, and Brian.  Karen dug up the Rocky theme on her phone and played it when I was running (but not walking).  Matt and Rebecca joined us near the end...then at the very end they had a crepe paper finish line and Brian caught a picture.  Lots of sweaty hugs and awesome.  In all I hadn't quite done 105 miles (3/4) so I decided my nickname had to be 72 cent.



Shannon and Karen helped me get changed and get some recovery nutrition.  Then we headed to dinner.  But oops, Hacienda (that location anyway) had closed.  Shannon saved the day with another nearby Mexican place.  We went and ordered margaritas and delicious food.  David needed to head out to NITE Ride after he ate and we hung around a bit longer.  The group gave me an amazing card (and gift card)...as if they hadn't done more than enough.  Kay even drove my car home for me.

I took a very painful shower and hit the bed.  I am sore, but more of that may be from the bike fall than from the effort.

In all 1.8 miles swim, 80 mile bike, 18.4 mi run/walk - 12 hours 8 minutes.  I still have work to do to get to Ironman in 2018 and I am learning a taste of what recovery might be like.  I am proud of my friends.  I am proud of my husband.  I am proud of myself for keeping going.  I am happy that the Garmin still had at least 33% charge when I finished.  I am thankful for Matt.

On to Steelhead.

Comments

  1. Awesome report! I love it. Great job. Think about how short Steelhead will seem!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I