Skip to main content

recovery

I suck at recovery.  This is not news.  It's not even how I feel.  By now it is fact.  I am really, really bad at it.  Other people know I am bad at it:

Because you do not like lack of structure during recovery weeks, I have posted workouts. But please feel free to take the week off to recover and get psyched for the rest of the season. - ME

That's the professional way of saying that I suck at recovery.

Sunday I went to the gym and sat on a spin bike for 30 minutes and covered about 12K with a tiny bit of increasing effort in the middle.  I went to yin yoga for an hour.  Yes, I have a couch...it's even in front of a 65" TV...but I needed to move a little and then stretch a bit.

Monday I didn't go to OWS (open water swim for non-tri dorks) but I did go to a slow flow yoga class.  Of course the Loft/Phoneix crew was outside getting ready for their ride when I skulked into Kompose...I don't know why that whole situation still makes me feel weird, but it does.  Oh...I also used the stairs in the parking garage and the office when I went to/from work.  I was super tired after only a few hours in the office so I headed home.  It occurred to me on the way to the garage that I felt puny enough that I couldn't defend myself if attacked...I didn't like that feeling, but also didn't like the fact that I thought about it.

Tuesday I made it through a full day of work and went to the PBT group run.  I kept it to 2 miles, which was nice because it was hot, but I ran them faster than necessary...since the cool kids were out doing the speed work I hung out and stretched before we went to Brewsday.

Wednesday I decided to start the day with my swim workout.  It was supposed to be 2,000 yards of drills, but the outdoor long course (50 meter) was the open pool...so I swam 2,000 meters (about 2,200 yards).  Probably over did it.  I was super tired in the afternoon again.  That didn't keep me from looking for some yoga or group fitness class or something that I could go to...but I didn't go to one.

Thursday I did my ride early because there was a decent chance of awful weather in the evening.  It was 1,000% humidity so I reasonably kept it to 34 minutes (had 30 to 60 on the plan).  After work I went to see Brian (PT) about making my ankles stronger.  Then I came home.  Thought about yoga with David, but Thursday is power yoga and I wasn't up for that.  And the storms hit.  So much rain.  Glad I stayed in.

Of course with the extra time on the couch watching TourdeFrance recordings and surfing the web I was binge shopping...and felt justified since it was birthday week...and Amazon Prime day...so many packages coming!

Friday I totally had created room for me not to go to OWS because the Loft/Phoenix crew swims at 6 AM...and it was my birthday...and I had been sleeping like a dead thing all week and not waking up early.  And then...yeah, I was up at 4:50.  So I went to OWS.  Swam 1,350 yards...and then started my very packed very fun day.  At the end of the day I decided to check out the Lime City trail by walking half of it (out and back) in flip flops.  I didn't wear appropriate shoes at all on Friday...it was all flip flops.

Saturday we were up with the sun and left by 7:15 AM to go back to the trail to run.  David ran the first mile with me and then walked around while I finished my four miles. I had to flip over to HR and keep backing it off since this was supposed to be an easy run.

Tomorrow after church we are headed to Kentucky for the rest of the day, so what does that mean?  YEP!  I'll be out for an hour bike ride by 7:30 AM.

So I had "permission" to take the week off and I have taken exactly zero full days off and only one day with only yoga.  Granted, workouts were generally easier and shorter than they would have been, but they were there.  The discipline of doing something.  Because in my head I am still a couch potato.  I am not ready to let go of the discipline for "fear" that the potato will take up residence again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I