Skip to main content

Inaugural Traverse City 70.3

About a year ago I learned that there was going to be a new 70.3 (half Ironman) in Traverse City. When registration opened I was on it and got in...which was good because it sold out within hours. We didn't know exactly where the course was going to be...just that it was going to be great.

When the course maps came out the bike profile seemed a little more intense than we were anticipating. About 2,500 feet of climb, which is more than Chattanooga. Ok, another hilly race.

Usually I am excited when I register for a race, excited when the courses details come out, excited when bib numbers and athlete guides come out...and super excited the week leading up to the race. I am also usually excited when I am going to see my parents. The week before the race my mom had to cancel them coming for personal reasons, which I was ok with. But then I just wasn't super excited about the race. Even coach said it felt like I was in a different place.

When we got up to Traverse City I was getting excited. We went to athlete check-in and then headed to the trail to ride. It wasn't a great ride, but we had fun. And then we had a fantastic dinner (smelt and cider).

On Saturday morning we went to breakfast and then I swam in East Grand Traverse Bay. It was so clean and clear. The beach was so smooth. I loved that swim. We went to the athlete briefing and then drove the bike course and had lunch in Empire mid-route, and went to Cherry Republic. Then to the Jolly Pumpkin for dinner.

In the morning we left our hosts' house around 6 AM and headed downtown to park, walk to transition to set up, and head to the swim start. I went in the water for swim warmup and it was perfect. Then the wait for my time group to move to the front and get in. I loved the swim. The water was so clear and I could see other swimmers. I was able to maneuver around some and get on the heels of a few too. In all a good swim and pretty fast.

It was a long transition...just a long way across the street to the lot where the transition was. I wasn't thrilled with the setup, mostly because people didn't know what they were doing. Lots of first timers and people doing their first IM brand race/race that big. I got everything set up and headed out.

The climbing started around mile 2. The climbs were long steady uphills. Then some rollers, then some more climbs. There were a few big downhills too. I reached my top speed ever - 40 mph. But there were more long climbs.

T2 probably took longer than it should have, I had to rack my bike twice to get it in right. I couldn't eat my bag of chips in T2 so I took it on the run with me and ate them over the first mile or so. I was doing run/walk with a 5 minute run and 1 minute walk interval. It wasn't fast but ok. The course was two way two loop traffic on a trail that was only 10-12 feet wide. It was a little congested. There was a big hill on the west side of the course that was a bit annoying and in full sun. On the second loop I switched to a 3:1 run/walk interval. I was always walking through aid stations. By mile 10 I went to 1:1 run/walk until then end. Approaching the carpet I started running hard into the finish. It was a nice finish experience.

I had some watch problems (user error) so I didn't know my total time. If I had I probably could have found a minute to at least keep it under 7:30. As it was I finished just under 7:31. Not the day I wanted, but the bike course was very challenging and hard on my legs. I just couldn't be faster on this course this time. But I am glad I did the inaugural race and that I finished.

My process goal for the race was to focus on gratitude. During the swim it was easy...I was grateful for the clean beautiful water of West Grand Traverse Bay. On the bike it was that I had the strength and experience to ride the challenging course. I had gotten sand in my socks, not a big deal on the bike...but on the run I felt all of the sand in my shoes. My gratitude was that despite having diabetes for 11 years I was able to feel all the sand and the discomfort of my toes/feet since I don't have neuropathy. At the end of the race I was grateful for having finished the inaugural race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s