Skip to main content

Tri Indy Oly (2/3 weekends)

Sunday was Tri Indy. I was racing the Olympic distance and went in wanting to PR and podium. I also wanted to have a good run. Two of three isn't bad.

The swim wasn't supposed to be wetsuit legal for people trying for awards so I didn't bring mine. They changed it at the last minute, but it was fine in the swim skin and I would have been too hot in a wetsuit anyway. With the canal being dredged and cleaned this year it was an interesting experience. I've never been able to see in the canal and it is usually full of weeds. Very few weeds this year and you could see through the water and see the bottom - the later was not necessarily a good thing. I had been worried about hitting a scooter since there have been 17 pulled out since the canal was cleaned. In the end I swam over at least two of them, but I didn't touch anything but water (part of Matt's helpful advice). Fastest I've been out of the water for Tri Indy by a lot. I had started further up than I probably should have, but it was actually fine.

T1 was right where I expected, even with my concerns about getting the swim skin off.

The bike was fast and strong. They hasn't marked us with AG/weight class and distance so I wasn't sure if I was racing my competition...I just tried to make sure I stayed ahead of anyone who could possibly be a masters Athena. Both loops went well and I was doing a good job staying hydrated even riding fast. I didn't have as much problem as I usually do with being mixed in with fast riders on their second loop and very slow sprinters.

T2 was a little longer than planned, but I did change to a singlet to be more comfortable on the run. Worth the few seconds.

The first loop of the run felt solid without being over done. I was taking water at each stop knowing it was going to get warm. I probably should have hit a gel or something in T2, but I did have one near the end of the first loop.

The second loop things started slowing down. Water stops were taking longer. A lot of people were walking and by halfway through I was race walking. I still felt good about where I was on overall time. I was able to run hard into the finish. I was surprised I had finished under 3:15 and not by just a few seconds. It was an 11.5 minute PR. There was a big delay in getting the results posted by then and complete chaos at the awards tent so I got my sandals from gear check and chilled in the RF tent. When I stood up there was a puddle of sweat and blood. The chafing from RAIN had broken open on the run and was bleeding lightly. Total yuck. Finally the results updated and D texted me from the Phoenix tent that I won my division! I was super excited to have won it. I checked the results and went to the award tent...which was still a huge disaster as they didn't have the updated printout and the volunteers didn't seem to know the non-age divisions well. Or the difference between race distances. But eventually it got settled.

Super happy. I am the reigning queen of the old fat tri chicks. The under 40 Athena winner was only a few minutes ahead of me and I am pretty sure all of her advantage was on the run.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I