Skip to main content

Taper...Race...Recover

I didn't post training leading up to Bayshore or a race report, so it's a two-week post this time.

Taper - 

Monday: Open water swim at Mystic Bay. Three triangle loops in the water for 2,670 yards. Breathing cottonwood the whole time.

Tuesday: 5 mile run, race week gear check. Warm up, run through a few gears for three miles, cool down. It was a toasty day but my 4th mile was my fastest mile of the year and I was feeling food about it.

Wednesday: 2,800 yard swim that somehow got recorded as 2,725. Since I had a night meeting I needed to get everything done in the morning and people needed me in the office so I just did my ride on a spin bike at the Y (14.7 miles).

Thursday: I had a 4 mile run so I added on to the Monumental lunch run and called it good. It was toasty out but it was a pretty quick run for an easy run. Downtown has a lot of stops and starts though.

Friday: Swim 1,000 continuous and get out. Drive to Traverse City.

Saturday: Bayshore Half Marathon (see race report)

Sunday: Ride around the Grand Traverse peninsula with David through wineries and orchards and along the shore. A great 30 mile ride.



__RACE REPORT__
I was pretty level headed about the fact that the race was going to be warm going into Bayshore, but I still thought I could try for a goal time. I had a good warmup (I didn't time it, but it felt good and accomplished what it needed to), and was ready for the race.

There was a significant hill in the first mile and then some rolling before a downhill mile and then the course became gentle rolling to flat. I was through the first mile faster than anticipated and the second (downhill) quite fast. I was carrying my sports drink, but ended up feeling like the water stations were a bit farther apart than I would have liked and the cups didn't quite have enough water in them. I did stick with my nutrition plan throughout though.

I was on goal pace through 8, but was feeling the work after 6. Between 7 and 8 the heat was getting to me and my gut was bothering me. After 8 I was pretty sure I didn't have it so I made a pit stop and then I mostly walked the rest of the race.

I had been going for 2:20 (about a 2 min PR), and even with the weather I could have run a 2:24-5 if I had run conservatively early. I really had nothing to lose by going for it though. In the end I finished in 2:36+ and was fine with it. Half marathon finish 68 and my parents got to see me finish. Was hoping for a cooler race in northern MI in late May, but you have to take what the day gives you.

RRCA Central Region Rep Sue Brown Nickerson and RRCA Michigan State rep Scott Fiske were at the finish and Sue got this pic of me and Scott.


Recovery - 
Monday: Unplanned rest day. I thought open water swim was still in the evening and we were back from TC in time for that, but then I checked and because of the holiday they did it in the morning. Oops. And the pools closed at 6 PM. So, yeah. It happens.

Tuesday: Easy 5 mile run in the heat, but at least I was in recovery and not doing 200s with the team!


Wednesday: I forgot that when the outdoor pool is open the indoor pool is closed, so I had to modify the workout for the 50m pool, not that I minded since I love the outdoor long course. 2,725 yards (Training Peaks converts it for me). I thought I was going to have to be on the trainer in the evening since the remnants of Alberto were in Indiana, but it cleared up and I went for a windy 15 mile ride.

Thursday: After my meeting I put the bike on the car and headed up to the north suburbs to ride on the Monon but north of the super busy areas. It was a progression ride so having mostly straight and flat was helpful. Once I was off the trail up further north it was WINDY still, but the progression happened. Nearly 24 miles total.

Friday: Late start on a swim, but got it done in the outdoor 50m. 3,100 meters (3,390 yards).

Saturday: Today a friend joined me for a brick. He is training for Steelhead but hasn't done much riding this year. I didn't tell him about the hills on the route we were riding :). We rode 32 miles and then ran 6 miles (didn't tell him about those hills either). It was getting HOT near the end and we walked the last mile. Good training day though.

Sunday: 19 miles of bike loops around Crown Hill cemetery catching up with a friend. Windy but easy miles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s