Skip to main content

It's Spring - Block 6 Training Log

Somewhere in this block we went from cool and windy/raining to unseasonably warm...sometimes with wind (or rain).  In any case, it was time for me to break out tank tops and have Blake at Runners Forum get me this:

I think I might have enough for the season.  But at least one is hanging out in my emergency race kit in my car.  It's also good for when you're wearing boy shorts under a dress :D.

Anyway, the log:

3/27: 2400 yd swim
3/28: 6 miles moderate (30 sec per mi faster than easy) run
3/29: 2150 yd swim and some killer 5/10/15/10/5 bike intervals where I died
3/30: 9.5 my bike trainer ride that felt awful and strength for athletes where I discovered my TFL
3/31: 2500 yd swim
4/1: 12 mile run with a fast finish.  The inner monologue was amusing, but it got it done.  Yoga for runners too.  First time at Kompose with Toni and I like it.
4/2: 27 mi ride at Crown Hill - 12 min intervals with Swati and David chasing me.  Also lifted with Shannon.

4/3: took a day off.  It had been two months and I needed rest.
4/4: 7 mi with 85% SSR on the hill course.  Scott pulled me through the last bit.  But only a few years ago I couldn't do Bow Lane without stopping.
4/5: 1500 yd swim, 18.5 miles on the bike trainer.
4/6: 5 mi ride on the Love Train part of the Monon, but geez it was windy. Then strength for athletes class.
4/7: 2400 yd swim
4/8: yoga with Toni at Lululemon then went to Columbus to ride ~34 miles and run 8 miles.  The run was with Felipe and it is probably the slowest he has ever run, but it wasn't bad for a warm 8 mile brick in early season for me.


4/9: 2450 yd swim and lifting with Shannon.  I knew I couldn't get anything done Monday so I moved the swim to Sunday and bagged another ride because...brick the day before.

4/10: day off.  I was named the BSU urban planning alumna of the year and got to do a Monday night lecture - this was the night, with a lovely/lively dinner afterward.
4/11: 8 miles with mile repeats at 85%.  Wasn't feeling like going out for the group run, but Trena made me do it and then ran with me.  Never mind that she had run 50K at Yamacraw over the weekend.
4/12: 2300 yd swim, 20 miles continuous hills ride at Fort Ben.
4/13: Morning run since it was Maundy Thursday.  4 miles on the tow path.  I remembered why not to run the tow path in the spring - swarms of bugs...eww.
4/14: 2500 yd swim
4/15: 8 miles at half marathon goal pace.  Decided to do it at Eagle Creek for the better workout.  David tagged along and rode while I ran.  Which meant I got water on the back part of the course, which was nice.  Runner rehab yoga in the afternoon.  Some clueless people thought it was my first or second half marathon coming up and couldn't understand all the training...whatever kids.
4/16: 37 mile Easter evening bike ride with David.  A few rain drops and some decent wind, but better to be outside than on the trainer.

4/17: 2100 yd swim where only 1875 recorded...or something like that.  User error with the watch, but a strong swim.
4/18: 6 mile race week progression run. Warmed up, ran 80-85% HRR for 3 miles, backed it down to cool down.
4/19: 2400 yd swim with total watch failure.  The other watch.  Not user error.  Just the beginning of the issues.  15 mile (ish) stationary bike ride at the Y before the Runners Forum MultiSport team thing.  Of course the bike computer stopped working.  And I had low blood sugar.  But I rode an hour (at least) and sweated buckets.
4/20: 4 mi run around the neighborhood where "easy" felt almost anything but.  And the watch is toast, so I have switched to the other one all the time.
4/21: 1,000 yd easy swim
4/22: CARMEL HALF MARATHON
Big expectations for this one.  From me and others.  I overslept my alarm and felt rushed until I got to the race and made it through the potty line.  I went for my warm up, which I didn't even use the watch for other than to run 10 minutes...and then got in my corral.  Someone messed up and the line between C and D got pretty unclear so I ended up starting near the back of C (oops).  First mile was too fast, but that's almost a given on this course with the downhill early.  At 3 miles I was at 32 minutes so I flipped it over to HR to run the rest of the way...the same as I had done for Costa a few weeks ago where I ran a 3:20 PR.  HR was a little low at times, but it was cool and breezy so I figured it was still ok and the splits were checking out.  Then the HR was showing at 80...oops, HRM mostly dropped me.  So I flipped back to pace just to make sure I didn't over run too soon. At 7.5 I saw Mary again (she had passed me at 1.5) and I wondered if it was possible to catch her (and maybe beat her).  By 8 I pulled even, but then I backed off just a little...but at 10 we got to the hills and I am stronger at late hills so I needed to pull ahead, but then I wasn't sure if she was going to be able to catch me again.  Then my watch showed the only mile over 11:00 pace, but the next one was back in line and I didn't think I had lost too much.  Mile 12 smelled like bacon as usual.  The hill up Rangeline felt hard, also as usual.  Then I turned the corner and started to close hard.  The BGR and PBT crews were screaming for me.  Coach was a bit farther up and screaming too.  I was just running as hard as I could.  I crossed with 2:25+ on the race clock, but 2:21:51 on my watch - I went straight for results and my time was 2:21:51!  So that's an hour+ faster than I walked Carmel the inaugural year in 2011, six days after finishing my first full...in June...it was hot.  But an HOUR!  It was also a 3:41 PR.

4/23: Lifting with Shannon at the new Fitness Garage location.  Then an evening bike ride while David was at bowling league.  Nice ride up Township Line/Towne to Little Eagle Creek Road - outbound headwind with free speed on the way back.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I