Skip to main content

Block 5: Run - check, Bike - check?, Swim - WTH?

This block began right after the 5K PR at Corktown Races.

Monday: swim (slow a$$) and birthday yoga with Kay
Tuesday: steady state run (SSR) at 85% heart rate reserve (HRR) with appetizers and desserts (Matt is sick) - I couldn't really get my hear rate all the way to 85% for the SSR but the pace was strong so I was happy
Wednesday: swim - where's the speed?  For real?
Thursday: Bike ride right after I found out one of my undergrad profs died, suffering from dementia.  He and his wife liked to ride on the Cardinal Greenway.  Rough night.  I also went to Strength for Athletes class...ouch.
Friday: swim...sucked slightly less
Saturday: Struggle bus of a 10 mile "long run" - but around 6.5 I found a group and I ran part of the way with them, or chasing some of them...and finished decently.  Also went to yoga with David.
Sunday: bike trainer.  Struggling with some of the sensors, but more importantly getting out of the saddle on the trainer is TERRIFYING!!!  Also lifted with Shannon.  We started added "burnout" sets after my top weight set.  We are working on bench press, squat, deadlift, and overhead press.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Monday: A crazy slow a$$ swim.  Even short and still sucky.
Tuesday: rode on the trainer.  Had to switch things up because I was going out of town Wednesday and didn't want to have to take the trainer with me.  Hard to skip the group workout, but got it done.
Wednesday: ran 3-2-1 intervals on the B-Line trail in Bloomington.  It was WINDY going north.  And there's a bridge that is CRAZY STEEP.   I did manage to have most of the intervals sub-10:00 so at least I wasn't really upset.  I was laughing at my shadow while I was running the intervals - I make 9:30 pace look HARD.  Skipped the swim.  Didn't feel like finding a Y and dealing with it.

Thursday: Easy ride when I got home from Bloomington.
Friday: swim before work since I was volunteering at Sam Costa prep in the evening.  Still slow.
Saturday: BIG PR at Sam Costa!!! See the race report.


Sunday: no rest for the wicked...or triathletes. Lifted with Shannon and then rode 90 minutes.  Felt the race...not terrible, but present.
________________________________________________________________________________

Monday: Slowest swim in a LONG time.  Can't find fast.  Wonder where I left it?
Tuesday: recovery moderate 6 mile run at 70-75% HRR.  Fun time with the crew.
Wednesday: another slow swim.  Not as bad as Monday, but still.  WTH?  Also 5-10-15-10-5 intervals on the bike.  They sucked.  Hard.   I couldn't make the last one.  Just couldn't get to that power level.  Died.  Ironically my speed/cadence sensor died during the warm up and I needed to switch to the new one (that was on the Trek).

Thursday: so when you get off the bike dead right before bed you want to get back on first thing in the morning, right?  It felt like day 5 of RAGBRAI (the day where you question your life choices).  I wanted pie.  Strawberry rhubarb please.  Back to Strength for Athletes class.  HOT at the Loft.  At least I had a massage scheduled for later in the evening.
Friday: killed the first part - 8 x 50, and the second part 7 x 100.  And then I couldn't find fast for the last 7 x 100 AT ALL.
Saturday: This was 10-12 miles with 3 miles at 85% HRR near the end, save at least a mile for cool down.  At six miles I was like "I'm only running 10 and not doing the bonus" - then mile 8 was faster than the others, so I thought I would look at what was up after 9.  9 was faster too so I stayed in the flats and ran 10 as a faster one too.  They weren't at 85%, or anywhere near current half marathon pace, but faster.  Then I was like I'm only running 1 cool down. Then I was a bit too far from the car so I decided on 11.5.  Then I was like "I never run off distances in training, especially long run" - so I ran the 12.  Glutes, hamstrings, and quads not happy.  I went to yoga for runners at 1 and that helped.
Sunday: Lifted with Shannon in the morning.  Reached a new high weight at overhead press.  Can't seem to find bench press weight lately.  Then church (which included a total meltdown).  Then ride outside with the hubs in the cemetery.  Ride was ok.   Got in 27 miles.  We'll start building distance on the rides in the next block.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I