Skip to main content

hello again it's been a while

I haven't been writing much for my personal blog since becoming a contributor to Salty Running, but I should do a Chicago Marathon race report here.

The primary goal was to finish the Chicago Marathon. To redeem 2014, and to finish a World Major Marathon. Spoiler alert, that happened.



The secondary goal, the one that has been around for a while, was to break 5:30. Alas, that did not happen. I still struggle with the idea that a 2:22 half marathoner can't manage to find sub-5:30, but it will come. I am not sub-5:30 YET.

This year has been weird. The temperatures through the "summer months" were mild and we thought we had dodged a hot year. Labor Day weekend was so chilly that they almost didn't keep the outdoor pool open. And then "fall" arrived and so did the heat. I made my way through two toasty 20-milers and a flaming hot half marathon. On the first 20-miler I managed to get second-degree burns under my arms. Which meant the next weekend I "got" to run a hot 20-miler in Chicago wearing arm sleeves and bandages to protect my arms. Then Mill Race half marathon was crazy hot. Red flag when I hit 10. I had run 10 miles at marathon goal pace, but there was no picking it up. In fact, there was a lot of walking. And a trip to medical at the end because I was overheated.

I got to the Chicago marathon having cleared my head, fairly relaxed, having eaten for racing all week, with plans A-E ready to go. I went to the expo, but didn't camp out forever. I did buy some new racing sunglasses since I had managed to lose mine. Then I headed out for dinner with family. Got to the hotel, went to the store to buy breakfast, and went to bed. I actually slept reasonably well.

Ate, took care of business, got dressed, and headed out around 6:00 AM. Got to my gear check by 6:30 AM and went to the porta-potty before checking my bag. Kept two cans of Trislide with me. Sat and was quiet for a while, then got in a (long this time) potty line. Managed to get through that JUST in time to lube up my arms and get in my corral before they closed it. Then it was nearly 45 minutes of standing around waiting before I crossed the start line. This time I didn't have any of the anxiety that I had earlier. I was just annoyed that I could have been running the past two hours while it was cool...since the sun was up, it was clear, and it was going to get warm fast.

Anyone who has run in a major city, or a major city race, knows that GPS is not a good tool. I planned for this and was using manual splits at the mile markers. Sure enough, we came out from one of the overpasses and some guy was like "we're running 8:05 pace" - I wanted to scream NO YOUR NOT! But I just wondered, to myself, 1) what in his training made him think he could run 8:05 [we were running about 12:15], 2) what made him think that 8:05 felt like what we were running, and 3) if he was indeed running 8:05 if that was a good idea given that he had a slower than 5:25 projected finish time. But I was sticking to my own plan.

10K, basically on target...then I had a brief potty stop around mile 10. And it was getting hot. Like the sun was burning through the black part of my singlet hot. I was still mostly running ok, but by 20K I was 4 minutes off goal. I could have gone to and of plans B-D, but I decided that at halfway I would go to plan E...just finish and decide later if I could try for time at Monumental. And so I enjoyed a lovely warm stroll down the streets of Chicago. At it was warm. I still did all of the customary nutrition and hydration things and dumped water on my head. And tried to find any blessed shade. I helped out a few people faring far worse than myself. At mile 24 it was not so fun anymore. And I did the math and I would need to "run" the last mile to break 6:30. That became the plan.

I got to one mile to go and knew it was time to try to run...and I did, but my ARMS/SHOULDERS hurt. When I am walking in a race I am a basic dumbass and walk with my hands on my hips. So when I put them back in run  position it was painful. Hurt more than my legs. Kept going.  Glad there was two more water stops past the "last" one. Got to mile 26 and I started wondering about this hill that everyone talks about. Then we turned the corner. F%^k...in the real world this is not a big hill. In the real world I train on bigger hills even as a flatlander in Indy.  But damn, it looked awful.  Race walked the hill and then hit it as hard as I could to the finish. 6:29:36...so I did that. I finished. Under 6:30.

The rest involved changing, cramping upon sitting, and an hour walk back to the hotel (about a mile away)...then some crying and texting and laying on the bed questioning my life.  Then food and beer once I convinced myself to get up. Then back to bed for sleep.

In the morning the world's biggest breakfast. No regrets. I got my $29 worth out of that breakfast buffet. It was fabulous. I was in breakfast heaven. I waddled out of there.


Then I had to drive home...

But the short story is I finished. I have a Chicago Marathon medal. And now I will try to work on that other goal.

PS - I registered for Ironman today and that is HUGE.  I'm coming for you in 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I