Skip to main content

Iron Rose 2020

 Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened.

On September 26th I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.


 


Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna were there to send me off. The swim felt amazing and it was everything I had worked so hard for. I completed the distance under 1:40, where 1:30 is my ultimate goal but I was going to be thrilled with 1:54 or 1:50. I was out of the water and changing at my car for transition with Jen helping and Trena packing up and getting ready to move my car back to the house.

 

I headed off on the bike. The first few miles of the course weren’t going to be fast…I had to wait for traffic signals and traffic while the clock was running. In town even mid-morning on Saturday has enough traffic that I needed to be careful. I was thankful I had remembered that Founders Park was on the bike route and would be a good place to use the bathroom – my first stop. I continued out past Morse Reservoir through Cicero and into rural northern Hamilton County. I was approaching my first stop in Atlanta. I got there, met Catherine and got my bottles filled and nutrition in my jersey (and in my face) and headed out. I was going to have a cross wind all the way across 296th Street. Slow and as steady as I could be ended up being what the day had. When not protected by trees or corn I was dealing with a pretty decent cross wind. I saw Coach Matt and Rebecca as they pulled up alongside for a bit and confirmed the next stop was in Lebanon. The 40 miles between those stops was LONG and HARD. Part of it was south, straight into the wind. And on the highway shoulder. But mostly into the wind. 17 miles per hour of effort was yielding about 11 mph. It took a long time to get to Lebanon. Karen and Kathe were there with signs and balloons, Matt and Rebecca were there and Rebecca was ready to ride the last 30+ miles in with me. That stretch was also very slow with head and cross wind the entire way. At one point I told Rebecca I really wasn’t this poo of a cyclist. We got to my house and I was in for the second transition, grateful to be off the bike.

 

 

I changed clothes and tried to eat the snack David had prepared for me, but I didn’t get much in. I grabbed my water bottle and a bottle of protein drink and headed out…later than I would have liked. Much later.

 

Tom ran the first five miles with me. And while I say ran it was really power walking. I finished my protein drink…which ended up being a mistake. I hadn’t really trained with it and my gut wasn’t thrilled. I was breathing weird from the junk in the air courtesy of soybean harvest and the wind in the corn (and people burning stuff). We got to my first aid station and I had a gel. And threw it up. Had to take a moment. Margie was on board to take me through the next loop. I felt a bit better. But I was also worried that I didn’t get/have enough fuel since I puked it all up and didn’t have backup. I also wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to keep anything down. I got to the next stop and I was able to take nutrition and keep it down…but it was a bit touchy. Between my breathing, my gut, not sure I had enough fuel, and worried that I was so far behind that I would be massively inconveniencing people…I got overwhelmed and decided I needed to stop at mile 12. I needed my inhaler and some allergy medicine. A tremendous group of teammates gathered at what would be the end of my race and had signs and cheered and stayed with me. Matt and Rebecca came. We talked. My evening was over.

 

I really only had one moment of tears the next day. I was pretty ok with what had happened. I wish I could have finished, but I also know it was a big effort.

 

Tuesday at the run the team was nothing but supportive of the effort and accomplishment. It was very heartwarming. Saturday Trena and I had a long talk about people supporting me, my perceptions that I am not always sure I am worthy of support, whether the 17 hour “time limit” was in my head when I called it (I was probably going to be over 17 if I finished), and what I’ve learned about my community of people. Trena had done a great job running ops for the day and everyone had done well adapting as things unfolded. There’s always the “maybes” but there’s also the “I gave it a good shot and learned some things.”

 

On Sunday afternoon I watched the London marathon women’s race. I shouted at the TV and was filled with joy and happy tears as Sarah Hall finished second in an amazing final 200 meters. After having two marathons she dropped out of. She’s a professional runner. She had some bad races. She stayed in it and her dreams came true. Mine can too. New hope for Wisconsin in 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I