Skip to main content

7 days to go

Three years is down to seven days. In those three years I have...

  • Finished five more 70.3 distance races (GR twice, Muskoka, Steelhead, and Muncie again), taking 1:45+ off my 70.3 PR)
  • Finished five more marathons (Indianapolis, Detroit, Monumental, Chicago, Carmel) and finally broken 5:30 at Carmel
  • Lost 40+ pounds
  • Completely changed my diet
  • Reduced and then stopped taking diabetes medicine while retaining a healthy A1C
I have worked with an incredible team who has been with me through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Matt has been the "head coach" planning the big framework and specifically bike and run workouts, Doug early and then Sean got my swim from ugly to somewhat respectable, Lindsay figured out race day nutrition in all the various iterations, Jackie figured out how to overhaul my diet, Chris got my head in the right place. Along the way Shannon and Mark worked with me to be stronger and move better. Kristine helped me stretch and chill. Brian, Chris, Ryan, and Joe helped fix me when I was broken. John fixed me with a lighter touch.

Trena and Tom helped make some big practice tris happen and have been constant cheerleaders. The RSG and Team15 and PBT and SFR teams have all been there through some important training. Jill, Jen, and Maria made sure I was safe for key long swims.

My former co-workers rode some of the emotional roller coaster and my new co-workers have been amazing through these last seven weeks.

David has done more gross laundry than he ever imagined, grocery shopped solo for things he's never heard of, cooked things he won't eat, cleaned up after me, traveled with me, and ridden more miles than he would have so that I had a partner for some of my rides. He also took the brunt of a bike crash last weekend.

But in the end, I am the one that made the decision to do this, to talk about it, to ask for help. I am the one that did the workouts and worked hard to get faster. I am the one who ran in rain, lightning, heat, cold, and wind. I am the one who rode hours on the bike trainer, or in the heat or wind. I am the one that spent Monday, Wednesday, and Friday swimming when it was cold, or hot, and moving around to where I could get swims in. I am the one that stopped eating wheat, corn, soy, most dairy, and sugar and started tracking everything I ate. I am the one that sought help and got back up when I fell. I am the one who mourned (with others) the untimely death of one of my friends and cheerleaders, I am the one that bounced back from a car accident, chafed arms (second degree burns), and a hard fall training for Carmel. I am the one that changed jobs during the peak of my training. 

I have done the work. I have done my homework. I am ready.

Now I just need to keep my head in the game for one more week and run what I have trained for. Thanks and blessings to all who have been there and who will be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I