Skip to main content

why mere mortals need coaches

Sooner or later, as a runner, you are likely to ask yourself "Do I need a coach?"

If you're like me there are about 100 other questions that follow:

  • I've never had a coach, what's that like?
  • What does it cost?
  • Do coaches even work with people like me (whatever that means for you)?
  • and dozens more...
So let's pick this apart with a bit of research...

1. Coach vs training plan
A training plan is a schedule of workouts that will get you to a specific distance race. Some are very generic for 5K, 10K, half marathon, or marathon and don't really account for where you are starting from. Others may differentiate between level of experience, include some level of specificity for the workouts (quality vs easy vs tempo vs long), or vary between the number of days of running per week (from 3 to 7). Some will be geared for a Saturday goal race and some Sunday. Some have long runs on Saturday, some on Sunday.  Some use minutes and some use miles. Some are free and some are paid. Some are custom. There's a lot of variety and any number of them could work for you. Training plans are available from a variety of sources including Runners World, Training Peaks, Hal Higdon, and some of the larger races.

Personal note - if you are slower than 11 min/mile then consider using a plan that uses miles instead of minutes. Minute plans never seem get you close enough to the distance or amount of time you will need on your feet to be adequately trained for your goal distance.

If all you need is a roadmap of what to do and you are capable of holding yourself accountable, cheering yourself on, knowing if you are overtraining or not pushing hard enough, and just need something to tell you what to do every day a training plan may be perfect.

If you are willing to have someone honestly work with you to get you to your goals, tell you when your goals are realistic and when they're not, plan workouts for you and hold you accountable to them, and push you to accomplish things you didn't believe possible, you may be ready for a coach.

Yes, coaches plan workouts. There are many different approaches to doing this and different coaching philosophies. If you subscribe to one method before you enter a coaching relationship it helps to know what method(s)/approach your potential coach uses.The Daniels method, Hanson's, and others can be very different and people have very different reactions to them.


But coaches also review and communicate with you about your workouts. They identify areas for improvement and where additional investment is unlikely to yield performance gains. They share insight to help you improve. They motivate and give you a kick in the arse. And they generally celebrate their athlete's accomplishments...and share in the misery of a bad workout or a terrible race...as long as you have done the work.

2. What do you want/need from a coach?
This is something that you need to figure out for yourself, and you may not know until after your first relationship. Some things to ask yourself:
  • How often do I need updates? How far in advance do I feel like I need to know my workouts? Is this compatible with what the coach offers?
  • What format are training plans? Are they in Training Peaks or a PDF? What works for me?
  • How much do I need flexibility due to work/family commitments?
  • Are there group runs that I can participate in?
  • What is a typical balance between quality and distance? What is typical volume? How customized is this for individual athletes?
  • How do you communicate (phone, text, email, video chat)? How often? What is your turnaround on messages? How does this align with my expectations?
  • Do I want to be able to talk through a race with my coach before and after? Is this a shared expectation?
  • Do I expect recognition?  Public? Private? What is important to me?
  • Do I want a coach who does coaching full time or is someone who does it on top of another career ok? What education/experience/credentials do I expect?
In short, some self-reflection may be in order before you have an initial conversation with a coach. Have the conversation. Coaching is a relationship, not just a transaction. Have a non-threatening first date first.

Some coaches have degrees in exercise science or biomechanics or something similar.  Others have credentials from an organization like the Road Runners Club of America or USA Track & Field.

Personal notes - 
I worked through a variety of training plans and assembled my own training plans for a few years.  Then I had a coach, but he was really just a pretty decent runner who made a training plan and communicated with me in a pretty limited way...he also wanted to "fix" my lifestyle and I wasn't there and certainly not with him. Then I met my current coach. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I found it. I have a trainer and another coach for another sport and I have learned some of the things above the hard way. I am NOT ok with weekly plan posting, I expect email/text replies within 24 hours, I expect clarification when I have questions about a workout, I prefer mile approaches over minute approaches, it helps me to talk through races even though I was't initially a fan. Live and learn, but you can learn a lot from others' failures.

3. What am I willing to put in?
Having a coach won't make you a better runner any more than having a training plan will. You need to put in the time and do the work. Not just the workouts, but communicating.  This means uploading your workouts (or however you communicate them), making notes about how you felt or what the conditions were, looking at the data yourself, and communicating goals, races, and schedules with your coach. You only transfer some of the responsibility for success (or failure) when you do the work.

Understanding that sport is part mental and that you need to do the mental work is part of it. Some of the resources that best work through the mental game are How Bad Do You Want It? and The Brave Athlete.

How much difference can coaching make in times? It depends on a million factors...but since I started with my current coach in 2014 I have taken 92 minutes off my half Ironman and 23 minutes off my half marathon. Doing the right work, the right way, with the right support makes a big difference.

__________________________

Want to know more of my story? I was recently interviewed for the DizRuns podcast and it can be found at http://www.dizruns.com/rose-scovel/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s