Skip to main content

Countdown to GR 70.3

The Grand Rapids half Ironman distance race (1.2 mi swim, 56 mile ride, 13.1 mile run) is in a week.  I am trying to be positive and working though impostor syndrome, but I will get right in the head this week.

The past three weeks recap:
M: uninspired swim and lifting
T: quality work.  Ran it hard, which I needed mentally but probably didn't help physically.
W: Rode before hanging out at the track.  Felt good.  Rode hard.  Evening swim was uninspired.
T: Death slog run in the morning.  It was humid and my legs were cooked.  I took it off life support at 30 min.  Went to yoga in the evening and that helped.
F: swim.
S: Paced Geist half marathon.  Right on 12:30 pace.  Had fun.  Weather was the best we've had for Geist.  Amazed I could run and keep on pace after Thursday when I wasn't sure what was up.
S: 50 mile ride.  Tested the new aerobars but they weren't fitted yet.  There was wind.  That has been the theme this spring. Went to yin yoga.

M: Lifted and then had a migraine.  Couldn't swim.  Felt awful.
T: swam in the morning...feeling a little better.  Quality run but was a bit cautious not to overcook it this week.
W: Worked in Crown Point all day.  Swim at their Y and then it started raining, but I still had a ride to do.  Power intervals in the cold rain.  For 90 min.  Put the bike back in the car and then managed to lock the keys in the trunk.  Spent 45 min freezing waiting for lock out service.
T: Ran before we started working in CP for the day.  Wonderful run in wonderful weather on the Erie Lackawana trail.
F: Swim.  Indoor pool wasn't open yet.
S: 15 mile run in awful humidity.  Started dying around mile 9.  Gutted it out for 15.  ME called it "good Ironman training"
S: Went out with the SFR crew to ride from Founders Park.  Tailwind made the out FAST.  The in was terrible with the headwind.  Averaged out to a good ride with David (we got dropped fast).  Then brunch.  Brunch is awesome.

M: Outdoor pool swim!  You have to be happy in the outdoor pool.  Lifted with Shannon and we worked on squat and deadlift form with Aubrey (a powerlifter).

T: Quality run.  1-5-1.  The 1s were ok, the rest was slow but that is always the story for this run.
W: Rode at Eagle Creek for some aerobar practice (fitted now) and some power intervals.  Then swam in the indoor pool in the evening.
T: ME (rightly) said no to Monumental Mile so I ran in the morning and took photos for Run Chat Hunt.  I was at the mile to cheer and watch TE's kids so he could run.  Then I went out with people and I was out too late and drank (and ate) too much. Sooo....
F: I had committed to Phoenix OWS at 5:45 AM.  Wakeup was soooooo early and I felt sooooo awful.  Swam two semi-awful 750 yard loops.
S: B&O Trail fundraiser 44 mile ride with David.  And lunch at Scotty's Dawghouse.
S: 8 mile run at 6:15 AM in order to make it to train LEMs at church at 9:00.  It was getting super hot so I didn't want to run in the afternoon.  Light lifting and yin yoga too.



I need to spend this week getting ready for a strong race at Grand Rapids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s