Skip to main content

Block 6 - Tri season starts

Three weeks ago my finish at Carmel was good and I was excited about TourdeLOU, my trip to NYC coming up and the start of tri season.

Week 1
Monday: swim 2350
Tuesday: easy 6 run
Wednesday: 2200 swim, 24.2 mile ride (progression)...well, until the wind shifted anyway, then more effort with less speed
Thursday: bike commute (~9.5 mi each way), and TRX
Friday: swim 2200
Saturday: I finally scheduled things too tight to make a run (especially a long run) work.  But I was at the ordination/consecration of the 11th bishop of Indianapolis, so it was cool.
Sunday: TourdeLOU 100K ride with David.  Lots of wind, a little rain, lots of cray people.


Week 2
Monday: Warm up to lift, lifting by myself at the Y, cool down.
Tuesday: AM predator run (7 miles total) since I was working in the evening
Wednesday: 2200 yard swim, 17.5 mile ride on the trainer (thanks cold rain)
Thursday: 13.7 mi trainer ride (thanks rain) and TRX
Friday: switched long run since I was headed to NYC.  8 solo in the rain in the morning.
Saturday: awful travel Friday and aftermath Saturday...no workout, but I was in NYC and had a ton of steps.
Sunday: 30 mile stationary bike ride at the hotel and some weights, plus NYC

Week 3
Monday: 3200 yd swim at the Vanderbilt Y in NYC.
Tuesday: High line light progression run in the morning - 6 miles total
Wednesday: 2400 yd swim, 16.8 mi ride out at Fort Harrison and through the mud on Fall Creek
Thursday: 14.1 mi ride
Friday: 650 yd cold water swim practice (heater out), 1.25 mi shakeout run
Saturday: Muncie May Oly

Race report...
I hate everything about this race.  I knew that when I registered.  But I also knew I wanted to have a tri season opener before 70.3 at Grand Rapids in June.  So, Muncie was it.  Some of why I hate the race is about the course, some of it is about people...I'll focus on the course,

The race starts with the sprinters at 9 AM and they all need to be out of the water before the super sprint (all 12 of them) could start, then they all had to be out of the water before the Oly could start.  But transition closes at 8:25 for ALL athletes...so there's a lot of standing around and really none of us planned nutrition for the race to start around 9:50.  The winners wave is a mass start and then it's 2 at a time in after that, which is my preferred start method.  The water temp was 58.4 degrees, so I am really glad I made the shift to using a wetsuit a year ago.  I didn't get in to practice because I didn't want to be cold and then have to get out...the first 300 yards or so were basically a moving heart attack, it was so cold.  My hands never got over how cold it was.  It was painful to put my face in.  My feet eventually got numb or something.  This course is a long out, left turn, short chute, left turn, long in.  It basically looks like you are swimming all the way across the reservoir.  Made the turns, was having to sight every 4-8 strokes, but that was ok since it was my first time in the lake this year.  On the way in it felt like I was alone, but really David said the field had just spread out wide.  Getting out was hard...grateful to be out, but really having a hard time finding the exit.  Took forever to get my wetsuit off (no strippers for this race), so transition was a bit long.  I put on my jacket even though the air temp was pretty good and the sun was out.


Bike was fine.  Rolling hills, but I knew that.  Second loop people passing quickly while I was on the first loop, but I'm fine with that.  Some other people on the first lap weren't as good at trying to pass and there were times I had to back off when being passed to comply with the rules (not that there were refs on the course).  Near the end of the first loop I stopped for a minute to pee and take off my jacket.  Best minute I lost.  Second loop the wind was starting to pick up, but really only an issue west bound, which wasn't for long.  At the bottom of the reservoir there were runners in the west bound lane, and I came upon 6 horses in the east bound lane.  I was in the east bound lane.  The people on the horses seemed oblivious to the fact that they were on a bike race course.  It was pretty scary.


The run was a disaster.  Not enough fluids, should have taken salt, forgot to take my Clif bloks with me.  And I hate this run course.  No shade, hot (mid 60s by now), and bitchy rolling hills.  Ran most of the first half, a lot of in bound people who were much better runners than me were walking.  This didn't really help push me and I was pretty checked out.  I walked a lot of the in bound.  Glad I wasn't last.  In 2014 I finished this race third to last.  I hate the grass to the finish, but I was able to run into the finish.


The Tri Loco and Phoenix peeps cheered me into the finish, which was nice.

So 3:45:53 - not at all the 3:25 I was hoping to pull off, better than the 4:06 in 2014.  An average day at the office.  I finished 149/173, 41/54 women, 4/6 in my AG.


From June 2014 at Muncie: 132/134, 44/46 women, 8/8 AG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s