Skip to main content

Block 4: Weather Mood Swings (AKA Feb shorts then snow)

Here's the rundown of block 4...

You already know about the 4225 (that's 2.4 miles) swim test, from http://myfirstmarathontimes2.blogspot.com/2017/02/swim-baseline-test.html.  After that test I had to ditch that suit...it was just getting too thin in places.  Wednesday I ended up ditching another suit for the same reasons.  Good thing I have 4 or 5...well, had.  Oh chlorine...

Tuesday I felt beat up all day.  Like my everything hurt and I'm dying beat up.  I went to the run, talked to coach, and we decided either I would have it or not, but I would know pretty early.  I stuck with my planned ladder  (1-5-1) rather than the group ladder (some complicated thing involving math).  It was pretty solid and my one minutes were solidly in the single digits for pace.  Now if only all of them were.  But that wasn't happening Tuesday.

Wednesday I did my usual morning TRX and then I hit the pool before work instead of after.  It wasn't a fast swim by any means, but solidly better than it would have been even six or nine months ago, so that's something.  Then in the evening I went to Computrainer class to do a FTP test.  I set up my bike and David was already on his next to me.  I got on and...fell over tipping the Computrainer and getting all sorts of things tangled with me in the middle and nearly knocking David over.  Arielle hopped off her bike and came and helped us get everything picked back up.  David and Doug put my bike back on the trainer so tight they could barely get it undone at the end of class.  The ride was ok, just about 10-20 watts average lower than I thought it should have been.  But it made some pretty charts.



Friday I abandoned the idea of 40% of my calories from carbs since I knew I was running 18 on Saturday morning and the idea of doing that underfueled was terrifying.  So I had Chinese buffet...and froyo...yeah, yeah.  I have three vices remaining and I hit all three of them Friday.

Saturday morning was 40 degrees colder than it was Friday afternoon.  And windy.  And there were snow squalls.  I bundled in layers and headed to Eagle Creek.  Since I knew I couldn't go 18 without water I did bring a thermos (hey, division awards going to good use, it was my TriIndy one).  First loop was solid, maybe a bit fast on some of the flatter splits.  Second loop was a bit slower, but at the end of the second loop I was still at 12:04 average.  I was happy with that.  Then I headed back out, but decided I didn't need any more of the big hills.  I was getting tired and my splits were falling off.  I did one more round of the circle and headed back.  I had started walking for a little bit at the beginning of each half mile after 15 miles.  At 16.25 I was going up an incline into a fierce headwind and I walked again.  I was ready to be done.  Then I was seeing the trail race finishers with their giant medals.  I knew they started two hours after I did and they were done.  Smugness.  I ended up doing a lot of walking in the last two miles, especially the last one.  The temperature had dropped and I had mentally checked out.  Met the guys for lunch and spent most of the rest of the day trying to warm up.  But...Sunday morning I was able to run up AND DOWN stairs at church with no pain...after running 18 miles...in February.  This is HUGE!

Sunday was beautiful and sunny when I woke up...and 20 degrees.  It did warm up into the mid-40s, but I wasn't riding outside in that so it was back to the trainer.  Progression ride through IM, 70.3, and Oly power.  Went decently.  Oly felt hard.  Stretched, drank some protein water and had a granola bar and headed to Fitness Garage to lift.  Bench was weak, everything else ok, overhead press I had a VERY good day!!!

Tuesday we had a progression run...warm up then 3 miles at 80% HRR, 2 miles at 85% HRR, and 1 mile at 90% HRR, then cool down.  I was having a hard time getting my heart rate up to the targets, but the perceived effort and pace were strong.  In the end I was very happy with the splits, especially the mile that was at 10:25 pace (mile 7).  Hard run, but felt really good.  Continuing the progression theme there was a progression ride on Wednesday after morning TRX, afternoon swim and bike technique work with Doug.  After meeting with Doug I am going to be working on riding at higher cadence.  It was hard today, but I think I can get there.

Saturday was one of those long runs that looks easy, but isn't.  It was "only" 10-12 miles, but with 3x 2mi at HMGP with 1 mi recovery.  The HMGP was supposed to be at 85% HRR.  Well, never quite got that high but still all of the GP miles were under 11:00 pace, so I was happy about that.  I was thinking that it might be interesting to race this way, but I might be able to run faster than I think I can for longer than I think I can, so I need to talk to coach about it.


Sunday's ride felt hard.  Not sure if it was being on the trainer or carrying fatigue, but it felt rough.  Then I went to the Y with David to lift since Shannon (my trainer) was out of town.  I wasn't able to bench as much as usual, but did well with the other three lifts.

Monday's swim was 3 x 15 min...building.  I did better with the third set, but not as well as any of it should have been.  But vacation swim...and then hot tub time!  I picked up a bonus TRX class in the evening.

Tuesday was 800 repeats...not as fast as I expected given the 2mi efforts on Saturday.  Wednesday was triple play, as usual, then the drive to Michigan.

Thursday I rode a stationary bike at the Livonia Y...I have been broken.  I would rather be on the trainer than a stationary bike.  So awful.  The gym rats were amusing, especially jeans and flannel guy on the treadmill.

Friday and Saturday I had strong runs at the RRCA Convention in Detroit.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I