Skip to main content

Block 2 - The Sick and the Ugly

The second block of the year wasn't my best training.

It started off ok with some good quality run work on a Tuesday and some good bike quality work on Wednesday.  Thursday I needed to train in the morning before I started my road trip.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  Thursday evening I was in Michigan City for work and had a good evening.

Friday morning I went to LaPorte to swim because the Elston Y in Michigan City has had problems with their pool since fall and it is closed.  The LaPorte pool is crazy warm.  Like tropical beverages crazy warm.  After a long time sitting on the edge of the pool so that I wouldn't have my set interrupted by the 5 minute guard break I got in.  I swam well and was mildly amused by the AOA class going on across the pool.  Got out and went to the hot tub, which is my winter swimming reward, but I swear it wasn't much warmer than the pool and wasn't that exciting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPNNbHZA5HlyeOrdamXed_1p1vyd-8UEUwPx0A0/?taken-by=rscovel76 

By Friday evening I was in northern Michigan visiting my parents.  Rogers City has permanent snow and ice at this time of year and they had gotten 4-6" of snow a few days before I got there so the roads were still pretty bad.

Saturday morning it was 15 degrees, which was so much warmer than our run the weekend before so I figured I would be in good shape.  Well, I was warm for the first hour.  Then my hands were very cold again, even with new gloves and mittens.  Remember the snow/ice and bad road conditions?  Yeah...I couldn't find the trail along Lake Huron and so I needed to run roads.  I ended up deciding my best bet was the shoulder of the highway (US 23).  It was ok and the cars weren't too scary, but along  lake it was pretty exposed to the elements.  I made myself go out 5 miles in the hope of getting to 10 miles of the 12 I was supposed to run.  With the footing I was much slower than usual and decided 10 would take about the same amount of time that 12 normally would.  I turned around and headed back.  By 6.5 miles I stopped and called my mom for a ride.  I don't usually carry my phone, but it made my parents feel better, especially since I had woken up feeling pretty dehydrated.  Mom picked me up right as I hit 7 miles.  I went back to the house and had protein powder and coffee...trying to warm up and recover, then got in the shower and put on warm clothes.

Sunday I was fine and I rode on my bike trainer, which I had dragged my bike and the trainer up north with me in the MINI with all the other crap I was hauling.  The Athletic Club in Rogers City isn't open for non-members on Sunday so I couldn't lift weights, I was going to need to do that Monday.

Monday I woke up SICK.  I couldn't eat half of what I usually do for breakfast because I was feeling very bloated.  Within an hour the gas was KILLING me.  I went to the store to get some Gas X and no sooner than the gas subsided the dysentery started.  I figured it (and the gas) was caused by the cheese in my omelet from Sunday (I don't eat much dairy anymore) and it eventually cleared enough that I ran for 30 minutes and lifted weights at the Athletic Club between sprints to the bathroom.

Tuesday I needed to make the trip back to Michigan City for an evening meeting.  The weather was bad in the morning, so I didn't get started until 10.  As I got south and west the roads got better.  My gut was sort of holding out, but still pretty bad when I was stopped.  I figured I would run on the treadmill after my night meeting because I didn't have time before my meeting when I got to town.  After the meeting I didn't feel well and I went to CVS and got Pedialyte because I was soooooooo dehydrated.  Wednesday I was still somewhat questionable, but drove back to Indy.  I was able to get some work done and ride before heading to the PBT annual party.

On Thursday I figured out that it was caused by the antibiotic I went on 10 days before.  Fortunately I was on my last dose.  I had never been sick from an antibiotic before (well, except for the one I'm allergic to).  I got some probiotics and hoped for the best.  My Friday swim was short because I couldn't hold pace and was getting frustrated.  Saturday I managed to make it through a 10 mile run with two miles at HMGP, but I had to do short loops to stay near the open porta potty.

By Sunday I was doing better.  It still took a few days for my gut to feel "normal" but I was going to be ok.  I had recovered from the dehydration.  My trainer had a conflict so we moved my weight training to Monday.

Monday I was back in the office, then went to swim at CityWay before heading to see my trainer.  It was a 2400 continuous swim in preparation for the full IM swim I am going to do on 2/20 as a time trial/baseline.  I came in right where my swim coach and I thought I would so it was fine.  But I SUCKED at weights after that.  Completely failed at overhead press with really modest weight.


Tuesday we were running alternating 400s.  Three miles of them after some strides during the warmup.  These were supposed to be as fast as we could run.  I was running hard (I thought) but my times just sucked.  After I uploaded the run I learned that my heart rate didn't even get close to where it needed to be.  All around awful.

Wednesday's swim continued the awful, but it turns out that I wasn't helping myself my cutting the recovery 30 seconds short for every 75 yards in the set.  So maybe it wasn't that awful.  My bike was strong even though it was super late before I got on the bike.


Thursday morning I rode easy before heading to work because I had a night meeting which, as I suspected, went later than I wanted.  At least it was in town as it was also sorta snowing when I came home.

On Friday I swam with my coach.  It was a really positive session and he thinks that as I keep working I can get to 1:45/100 yards - which would be a full minute per 100 faster than I was when I started working with him.

It's been hard to tell how much fatigue from being sick last week I have carried into this week's training.

Saturday's long run was solid!  14 miles - first 6 on the Butler loop with Nina, then 8 solo on the Monon.  I probably overcooked HR a bit in the first 6 but kept it between 70-75% of HRR in the last 8, but the pace was a bit lower.  It was 25 degrees with a slight breeze and didn't feel terrible except in the most exposed areas and even that wasn't bad.

The Giant has been in the shop for regular maintenance so I have been riding David's Trek on the trainer this week.  The saddle is decidedly uncomfortable, but otherwise it isn't too bad.  I do wish the new Trek could be on the trainer, but the trainer isn't ideal for the carbon frame.


My weight has been pretty stable after I recovered from the dehydration.  My blood sugar was much better/normal while I was sick and then has been higher the days that I have felt better.  I'm not quite sure what to make of that yet.

I feel like I could have a whole other post on how to super annoy the regular gym people during January...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s