Skip to main content

Success on the Road to Louisville - Athena Nationals

June 12th was the Grand Rapids Triathlon, which was the Athena and Clydesdale USA Triathlon Nationals.  The Athena/Clydesdale national championship is an "open" championship, meaning you don't need to qualify for it at an earlier race.  Athena is women over 165 pounds, Clydesdale is men over 220 pounds.  Ironically enough at my terrible showing at Tri Bonkers earlier I qualified for age group nationals by "winning" my age group - I was the only person in my age group.

Anyway, I was doing the Olympic distance race at Grand Rapids - 1500 m swim, 40K bike, 10K run.  Same distance as Tri Bonkers, but on a more reasonable course and with better weather.  David traveled with me and my parents came down from Rogers City to watch me race.  They hadn't watched a tri before.  I was pretty anxious before the race because I didn't want to disappoint my coaches, my parents, David, or myself.

The swim was a mass start by wave.  My wave was all of the Athena athletes in the Olympic distance race.  It was "wetsuit legal" and I wore mine.  It would have been comfortable without it, but it wasn't too warm with it.  I was swimming well and actually passing a few people.  I passed some people from other waves that were struggling as well and remembered when I was passed by people from later waves in other races.  The volunteers at the swim exit were excellent and helpful in pulling us up out of the water.  The wetsuit stripper I had was like a former NFL Linebacker an got my suit off and me back on me feet in seconds.  I was out of the water and at transition in 35 minutes.  10 minutes ahead of what I told David and my parents, so I wasn't sure if they even saw me (I didn't see them).  Through transition and out on the bike course.

The bike course was nice.  I traded places with a few women a few times, including a collegiate triathlete who wasn't working very hard...I ended up telling her she couldn't let my old fat ass beat her and she passed and I didn't see her again.  The turn went smoothly and I managed to stay out of the way of the half Iron distance athletes who were merging with us at that point.  Every time I got a 5 mile split on my watch the split time was 18 minutes and change.  Normally I consider 20 minutes (15 mph) to be really strong, so this was exciting.  And I felt good and my power was where I expected.  I saw my parents and David as I was finishing up the bike course, right before the dismount.  I knew I was having a good race, but wasn't sure how good.  Through T2.

Out on the run course.  It wasn't hot, but was warming up and I knew to take water at every stop and stay in the shade as much as possible.  At this point I am looking at my watch and figure out that if I run well I could have a substantial personal record (PR).  Halfway through the run (out and back course) I know what I am facing in terms of hills (not bad) and I am trying to work the math...I am running well...I figured I would potentially have a 30 minute PR, but it might not be quite that big, it just depended on whether or not I could hold on to the pace.

With about .25 mile remaining I saw my parents and David and I knew I had the 30 minute PR - I yelled, "it's going to be a 30 minute PR" and dropped the hammer into the finish.  I ended up finishing in 3:25:59 - a 32 minute PR and below 3:30!  Substantial time off all three disciplines.  I was very happy and excited that my parents got to see a strong race.

There was no rest for the wicked after that as there was still work to be done for Muskoka 70.3.  As I write this I am preparing to leave for Ontario for that race.  God willing I will be a 2x half Ironman on Sunday.  I only need 8:44:00.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

Block 3: Race Withdraw is Real

Early in this block I was pretty pissed that some people who don't train (much) were going out and racing better than what be PR for me.  I have NO problem with people being faster than me (most are), as long as they put in the work.  But without work it just makes me upset.  And especially if they then bemoan how "slow" it was.  I wanted to race out of spite.  But I didn't get to. I've had some strong swims, and one complete disaster.  But I mostly shook off the disaster and moved on. This block was all bike trainer for cycling.  I did one of the workouts at the Loft while the class was doing something else.  I will do this for some of the weekday rides just so that there are other people around.  One of the things Coach Matt is doing is noting when I last did a workout so I can see how change is happening.  It seems I am doing better each time I do a workout, so that's good.  It will be nice to get outside (which should be tomorrow). Running has been s