Skip to main content

Never Let Life Steal the Joy of Triathlon

I've had a rough few months with real life, and at times it has reflected in my training. This week when I met with the sports psych we spent the entire hour talking about real life, because getting that in perspective is important to me being able to get to "flow state" with racing. By the end of the week coach was reminding me not to let the s%&t of real life steal the joy of triathlon. That needs to stay mine.

Monday - I met with the sports psych in the afternoon and then needed to go back to the office to facilitate a meeting. It was later than usual when I got out to Fort Harrison Y for my swim. When I finished it was 4,100 yards and I knew the workout was supposed to be 4,500. It was like two hours later when I figured out that I had missed a 200 in the set that repeated twice when I wrote out the workout. Oops.

Tuesday - Solid speed workout. 2x400, 4x800, 2x400. I declined the opportunity to go to the track, I didn't even check if it was open and that's where people were headed...but judging from Strava and the relatively few people from the team on the Monon I am guessing that's where most people did the workout. I hate the track. I don't think any amount of exposure therapy would make it better. But 7 miles in 1:21 is a good day for me.

Wednesday - After I got done with work I went to Jordan and swam 3,700 then headed out for a 5 mile run. I was headed out to run at the same time as the MultiFit crew so I got to pass and be passed by some of them. Easy miles, 1:02. I hit 50+ swim miles for the year with this swim. It's only March.

Thursday - The dreaded FTP test came around again. My last one was less than stellar, to the point we haven't even been using the numbers as a base for workouts. This one was good. Only glitch was that I was watching Straight Out of Compton on TV and it ended before the test was over, moving to Jurassic World, which isn't as motivating. It was my strongest and most consistent FTP test yet and we bumped up the FTP we are using as a training base. FTP = 173. 16.5 miles of riding total.

Friday - I was cozy in bed and ready to sleep until right before my breakfast meeting when I heard coach in my head saying that I had a long run on Saturday and I needed to do my swim early and focus on glycogen storage the rest of the day. So I got up and got my happy butt in the pool. 1,750 yards

Saturday - this was the first time that I hadn't really spent much of the weeks thinking about having a 20 mile run on Saturday. In fact I kept forgetting to charge either watch. I got up a little earlier than usual to make sure I had time to eat, have coffee, and get ready. Still forgot to put a watch on a charger. When I went to head out I realized that I was below 15% on one watch and 31% on the other - so I took the 920 with 31% and headed out. I was using my 3:! run/walk and all was well for at least 16 miles. Most importantly, I didn't fall. I was slowing down a little, but still keeping up with everything through 18 when I stopped to save the workout in case the watch did die as it was now yelling at me about the battery. I started again and got 1.4 miles before it died. While that 1.4 was slower than the 18 had been on average I completely lost my mojo when the watch died. Oh well, I finished 20 miles and 18 were at marathon goal pace average so that's good. Felt good about the run, the weather was perfect. After I felt like I had done 20, but I had. MGP is 12:36.

In other running news this week, I received a Phidippides award from USATF for racing a lot last year as a masters (older) runner. It's pretty cool.


Sunday - I went to Jordan to lift weights. There are usually a lot of weight room trolls there on Sunday afternoons, but I swear I was behind He-Man on every piece of equipment I used. 5 min row warm up, then 3x a circuit of bench press, lat pull, overhead press, kettlebell throw, plank, hip adduction, and hip abduction. One He-Man was using the lat pull at 150 lbs and I was pulling 30 lbs so I kept having to move it. Later I rode 30 miles on the bike trainer using a virtual route along the Danube, which was nice and had video and enough elevation change to keep it interesting without killing my tired legs. 

Swim 9,350 yards
Bike 46.5 miles
Run 32 miles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I