Skip to main content

Food Sensitivity and Immunocalm Part 1

I have been on a quest to get to race weight by Ironman and to eat healthy, not bonk, and maintain my blood sugar at a healthy level. I've worked with a registered dietitian on sport/race nutrition for years and then on weight loss that is sustainable and possible while training. Last year, my dietitian recommended food sensitivity testing. I passed on it at first but I recently had the tests completed. I'll post an update after I've had time to assess how it has worked for me.

My regular sport dietitian doesn't do the testing, so I reached out to another well-known local sport dietitian who is also a two-time Olympics Trials Qualifier in the marathon, has published a book, and is opening a restaurant and bar with her husband. At first the conversation wasn't about testing, it was about reaching race weight in a sustainable manner while training at a pretty high volume. After I completed her intake questionnaire, she said that she recommended the mediator release testing. I sucked it up and had it done. The blood draw is done in a lab and the lab I went to charged $40 for the draw. The blood is shipped to a diagnostics company in Florida, and the results are mailed to you and your dietitian. The testing cost is $299. Since I had the blood drawn right before Christmas, it was early January before I got the results back. The report is very thorough and comes with an immunocalm diet to get started that has several phases. A sample of the test report is available.


After a consultation with the dietitian (two sessions are $220 with this dietitian), she sent me a revised version of the immunocalm diet because of my activity level and wanting to make sure that there were enough things I could eat.

Even so, I had to change my foods pretty significantly. I recorded everything in cronometer.com so that we could track my weight, blood glucose, supplements, food, and exercise and notice patterns. I suck at food logging, so doing this has been hard for me, but the dietitian knows that and is providing a ton of positive support and reinforcement. I was very cautious with the diet and only added one new food (from the approved list) to my diet per day. That way I could better assess changes.

I thought I was eating a healthy diet of healthy foods, but it turns out that some of those are reactive for me. I had taken most wheat out of my diet about nine months ago because I noticed that it caused weight fluctuations. What I didn't realize is that I am just as reactive to corn as I am to wheat. Corn is in frikking everything. Especially all of the sport nutrition products I was using. I also knew that I had a problem with dairy and had limited my dairy, but was still using coffee creamer and yogurt. All of that has been gone under this diet. I have learned that I like black coffee a lot more than coffee with goat milk, and that buckwheat groats with blueberries is a great breakfast.


Here's my list of reactive foods (red and yellow - I only have one highly reactive, or red, food):
  • Asparagus (red)
  • Avocado
  • Black pepper
  • Cane sugar
  • Cantaloupe
  • Catfish
  • Cola
  • Corn
  • Cottage cheese
  • Cow's milk
  • Ginger
  • Lecithin
  • MSG
  • Orange
  • Peach
  • Pecan
  • Pinto beans
  • Raspberry
  • Salicilic acid
  • Scallop
  • Sulfite
  • Soybean
  • Turkey
  • Vanilla
  • Watermelon
  • Wheat

While I don't drink cola anymore and others are things I rarely eat, some foods like avocado and turkey were regular parts of my diet. Same with raspberry and orange. My favorite flavor sport nutrition (which also had corn) were vanilla, ginger, and watermelon. Oops.
For the past two weeks I have been careful with what I eat and recording EVERYTHING. I have lost about five pounds. I really only miss coffee creamer and Greek yogurt, but I have noticed that I am a lot less snotty (especially in the pool). I have stopped taking both of my allergy nasal sprays. One of the things the dietitian is a bot concerned about is that there is corn in some of my other medicines, but we can't get rid of some of them, so we deal with it.
I have not felt hungry or deprived. I have not felt like I have significantly lower energy than I would have based on my normal life anyway. I have switched nutrition to huma gel (which has cane juice and I am somewhat reactive to) or Honey Stinger Gold gel. I am getting used to using gel again, which I hadn't used in years because of texture issues.

After the first two weeks there are more foods I am adding in and I have started on a probiotic. I will be starting on Iron supplements soon as well since the data from Cronometer suggests that my diet doesn't have enough. I am also trying to take my Vitamin D a few hours separated from my other medications to help with absorption.

The biggest challenge (aside from the pain in the ass logging) has been bringing my lunch to work and bringing food to the conferences I had this week because the catering services can't really accommodate my diet, since it isn't just gluten-free/dairy-free, it is customized to my food sensitivities. I have been able to eat out a few times - at a breakfast place I had poached eggs and blueberries with coffee. At the cafe in the office I can hit the salad bar and assemble a salad that doesn't have anything off limits.

I have learned that buckwheat groats are tasty and are much more affordable in bulk at Whole Foods than in the small, pre-packaged bags. Frozen unsweetened blueberries are a godsend, but in large quantities make your poop green. Coffee is my friend. Sweet potatoes are more versatile than I ever imagined. Lentils are tasty and very nutritionally dense. Banana flour is a thing. Peanut butter with no other ingredients is a pain in the ass because it separates and needs to be stirred, which is messy and gloppy. Goat milk tastes like you are drinking from the goat in a barn and the goat is wearing a wet wool blanket.

Stay tuned for the second phase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I