Skip to main content

When Life Gives You...

Life has never given me lemons. Lemonade for Arnold Palmer's would be lovely. Sometimes life gives me turds...and you can only polish a turd so much (in the words of my financial adviser Paul Daniels). This block had some turds, not all running, but that affected running.

Week 1
Monday run - oops, still haven't turned auto lap back on and forgot to manual split the Garmin. Good thing this was an easy run and there were limited expectations.

Tuesday - 800 repeats. On the track. I hate the track. I feel...exposed...and I never get it right anyway.

Wednesday - had to circle swim in the pool, but since it was in the 50m it was less annoying than in a 25 yd. Bike ride with the Endurance House group and I led the C group since I am not really directionally challenged and am on the faster end of that group.

Thursday - ran a light progression run at Shadyside Park in Anderson after some work meetings.Practice goal was to focus on what it felt like to run in an unfamiliar place (when alone/not racing). The pavement is not well-maintained on this trail (they're working on it) and the camber is off on a pretty narrow path. As coach said in comments, it might be one thing to do for an easy run, but more of a challenge for a workout.

Friday - I did my occasional last Friday of the outdoor pool season 5K swim. I had taken the day off so that I could do it at a convenient time and not feel crunched on time. It was cool and cloudy, but the Y kept the pool open for the few of us who were getting in swims in the 50m. I thanked them for that. It went well and the time was decent even without pushing for time.


Saturday - 8 mile "long run" but it had 1:1 intervals and 2 miles of SSR. Really solid run and Amanda was with me the whole run, it was nice to have someone to run with.

Sunday - rode in Hamilton County with Cathy and had a nice ride. Went to yin yoga.

Total - 7,180 yards swimming, 40.8 miles biking, 25 miles running. Not a bad week.

Week 2
Monday - Labor Day. Ran 4 miles with Katie and caught up for the first time in forever. 1:15 yoga flow class. Lifted with Shannon.


Tuesday - 7 miles on the hill circuit, with Amanda. No HRM so I was guessing at effort. Managed three loops, but Amanda got ahead of me on the third. She's 5 years younger and petite so it wasn't a fair fight, but a good run...

Wednesday - My car was in the shop and I had a rental. Put my bike in the car. I was going to swim then go to Endurance House to ride. Well, since it wasn't my car I forgot that my swim bag wasn't already in the car. Went up to the Monon Center and rode north on the Monon (which I don't usually do because of too many people) and got caught in some rain but not too many people. Then I got my bag and went to swim. Just 1,500 yards, just swimming.

Thursday - 3,2,1 hard with 2 min recovery - twice. I like this workout. I like it best when I can time it so there are no street crossings but I don't run out of trail and need to turn before a fast set. I only had one with a turn and two headed north (which is up gradient) and they went pretty well. Then I went to the Y to lift on my own. Took Allegra-D and didn't sleep.

Friday - 1,750 yd pull swim in the morning. Didn't sleep tonight either.

Saturday - Here is where the turds come into play. Eagle Creek to Zionsville (and back) 20 mile run with PBT. Last year this was in the pouring rain (and a severe thunderstorm). This year the weather was perfect. SO I forgot to wear trislide on my arms at the start. I was running outbound with Amanda. I knew before 2 miles (before we were out of the park) that I should have done the trislide. We're having a good time talking and whining about the hills and make it up Kissel hill...and then we are talking and there are cars and we miss the turn on to Hunt Club. We were quite a bit up the road when it was seeming less familiar and I thought we had missed, but I also thought we could still be ok...and we were, except the next way east was Oak Street (formerly SR 334). Yeah, a highway. Fortunately, there is a shoulder. Unfortunately, there is a lot of traffic. We were fine and the distance was the same, but it did mean missing a water stop. At 11 miles Amanda turned around to go back the mile to her car. I still had 9 to go. And I just didn't have it anymore. It became the search for water. I got the stop on Hunt Club. The next stop had packed up already, but then hi found out I was still out there and caught me a mile late. Matt had a bottle for me when I got back in the park. I was in pain and not thrilled, but I finished the 20. Slow. And my arms were on fire.

Sunday - went to church and served. Rode my bike. Lifted at the Y (with David spotting) since Shannon is galavanting around Ireland. And the pain of the chafing from hell under my arms hit me.  HARD. I bandaged them up and went to bed.  At 3 AM I woke up with one of the wounds literally weeping (dripping down my arm). I wasn't even sure if I should go to the ER, a 24-hour clinic, or the doc in the morning.

Total - 3,250 yd swimming, 31.8 miles biking, 35.8 miles running. Car, sleep, and arm turds begin.

Monday - started the day with attempting to run 4 miles near the house with a long sleeve shirt to protect the arms. Made it 2.25 miles. Called the doc and got in for later in the morning. Second degree friction burns. Lots of bandages, ointments, antibiotics for the next few weeks.  No swimming. Oh, happy 18th anniversary to us.

Tuesday - Car back in the shop, but I have a rental for work so ok. Managed to bandage my arms and get them in armwarmers and then use a lot of trislide at the top under short sleeve shirt and was able to run. Really just took it one step at a time, but got my workout in (400s). 7 miles.

Wednesday - Extend the rental car, but now I have to pay for it. All day training downtown. Endurance House ride canceled for weather. End up riding on the trainer. Played the game where you ride hard for commercials.  USA takes long-ass commercial breaks.

Thursday - Now driving a decommissioned car by husband's company still has plated. Grateful to have a car, but it took an hour to get it started and it is the dirtiest car ever.  In the world. Just gross. Had to wash the driver side with soap and water to even tolerate it. Ran with Indy Runners and this guy asked my pace and said he would run with me, but it was much faster than I would have normally done. OK, but hard. Went to the Y and did core and hip work.

Friday - Car moves to the dealer for warranty work. I have a loaner (much nicer and newer than mine). Drama all day about whether or not they can replicate the problem. Did get the other problem fixed for $220. And they did the warranty repair after all and my car was ready by 3 PM. But more gray hair. Day off for training the first time since 8/11. (PS - there's ongoing work drama too)


Saturday I had an easy ride a little under and hour.  Just over 14 miles. In the afternoon I headed to Chicago.

Sunday - CARA Ready-2-Run 20-miler.  6:30 AM start and it was 70 degrees. I started in Wave 1, which is the "extra time" wave for people slower than 12:00 min/mile. The run/walk groups started behind us (10:30, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00) and then the regular run pace groups. So faster people passing me throughout and some run walkers who were ahead then behind. Right after 4 I managed to get a small bug in my eye, but I got it out while moving so it was fine. I needed to pee at 5, which is pretty early for me in a very long run, but I figured it meant I was well-hydrated and it didn't really cost me any time. My 10 I was a bit jealous of the people swimming in Lake Michigan. Started feeling more sluggish around 13 than I would have liked, and at 14 a yellow flag at the aid station confirmed what I was feeling, it had gotten hot. I knew I needed a plan for past 15 and this is what I came up with - 2 miles at 3:1 run:walk, 1 mile at 2:1, 1 mile at 1:1, and walking the last mile. I pretty much stuck to that. I did use fountains (in addition to water stops) twice, one of them right around 19.25. Finished only about a minute over what we planned and I feel good that I made the decision of how to deal with the heat and stuck to that plan.

Totals:
Swimming - 0 miles
Biking - 29.3 miles
Running - 34.3 miles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iron Rose 2020

  Some race reports are easier to write than others. Some take a while to process everything that happened. On September 26 th  I set out to do my own full Ironman distance triathlon (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). When coach at I first started talking about it we talked about maybe as a one day effort (race format) or three days (like some of the virtual options have been). My last big training weekend (biking 100 on Saturday, running 20 on Sunday, and swimming 2.2 miles open water on Monday) confirmed that I needed to shoot for single day because I had come so close to the three day in training. So we were full steam ahead with the plan already in motion. I had planned routes, marked my bike course, secured volunteers for aid stations (amazing people all around), dropped off aid bags…finished training and tapered.   Race morning Trena arrived at my house early and we headed over to Andy’s for the swim. Trena and Jen were doing safety kayaking for me. Andy and Anna wer

Vision 2020

I'm a planner. And a dork. And I wrote a lot of Vision 2020 plans around 2000 so now that it is 2020 everything feels weird. Ok, that's out of my system. Let's talk about 2020. I've already done a self-assessment of last year and met with coach to plan 2020. Everything is focused on Ironman Wisconsin on September 13.The milestones have been set, but there will be some infill along the way. Milestone 1: Carmel Marathon - I did a spring marathon (also Carmel) in 2018 ahead of Louisville and it seemed like a good idea to do that again. So for the 10th Carmel Marathon I am running the full. Spring marathons feel undertrained compared to fall because the time between recovering from fall and getting ramped up to multiple 20 mile training runs is not there. I take the spring effort as a see what happens sort of race. Must finish to keep the streak alive, but I will see how everything else unfolds. Milestone 2: TourdeLou - not so much of a race as a supported event ride

TourdeLOU

Late last year I decided that David and I would ride the metric century (100K/62 miles) at the TourdeLOU that is part of the Kentucky Derby Festival.  I thought it would be a good way to start riding around Louisville some.  But with the weather this spring, April 30th came pretty quick as far as outdoor riding goes.  Pretty sure 37 miles on Easter was the farthest either of us had ridden in a single ride this year.  We both got some good wind training on Wednesday as David was out on City Loop with Phoenix and I was on a solo ride from Westfield to Sheridan and back when the wind associated with a storm front rolled in. The weekend was pretty full with the Ordination and Consecration of the 11th (Episcopal) Bishop of Indianapolis on Saturday and I was serving in one of the processions, so I needed to be there pretty early.  But with the storms Saturday morning (noticing a theme?) and the Y not opening until 7 to treadmill run I thought I would be able to get my run in later...but I